It's (not) all about your camera.

I hear a lot from moms and dads that if they only had "a nice camera" like I do that they could get better pictures of their kids. Or that if they had great editing software they could "fix" the things that are wrong with their photographs.
I wanted to do a quick little post about how untrue that is! You can capture awesome images with what you have and I want to encourage you to get out there and do just that.
In January we took our kids to Disneyland and I really didn't want to lug my big camera around with us all day. I knew I'd be worried sick about it getting wet, or getting dropped, or getting left on a ride so Mike bought me a little point and shoot camera that fits well into my back pocket. Most of the pictures we took were taken on the fly - I would quickly pull the camera out to snap a shot and then we'd be on our way again. Our kids are were so busy and so excited that even if I'd have had my awesome camera with me, the majority of our pictures would have been taken in a point and shoot style.
The other day we had to run to Seattle for something and decided to stop at Gas Works Park on our way home. I'd never been there before so it was as exciting for me as it was for the kids. Mike had thrown our p&s into the glove box before we'd left the house and he made sure to grab it before we left the car.
The pictures we snapped that day were really awesome. I can be just as creative with my little p&s as I can be with my big girl camera. I wanted to share the following pictures so you can see that it's NOT all about the camera you are using - it's just how you use it!








I wanted to share this last picture to illustrate why you don't need an amazing editing program to help your pictures. I use Lightroom 3 (which is an amazing editing tool) but when it came to these pictures they only needed slight tweaks. I simply added a bit of fill light and contrast to brighten up the picture to have it match my typical editing style. These actions can be done in most free editing software.



Don't be too hard on your point and shoot camera! Get out there, work what you have and create awesome photos that you can be proud to display in your home!!

For reference, Mike and I use a Canon PowerShot Elph 100 HS as our point and shoot. Other than this, we are Nikon to the core!

Leave a Reply